Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Giving Ubuntu 7.10 a spin.

So I have been living with Windows Vista for some time now at home and at work. First off I want to say that there have been time when I actually enjoy Vista...not many time but there have been a few moments where I have enjoyed it. I have always been a fan of Open Source software and a fan of Linux in general. I had Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper Drake" installed on my Dell laptop for a while and enjoyed it alot (minus the fact that for some reason no one had the Broadcom drivers for my wireless card). But other than the wireless card issue there really wasn't much that I couldn't do.
Fast forward a couple of months and there are a few more released of Ubuntu including Edgy Eft and the beta for Gutsy. Windows Vista had already been released as well. So me being the not so intelligent person that I am, I decided to go ahead and install Vista on my main PC at home which I use for my day to day tasks when I'm not at work. But most importantly I use it to game. Vista was said to have some issues with games, I saw little of these problems but most were over come with a slight memory upgrade.
Now I don't plan to game on a Linux machine but for the past few days I have had Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbons" installed and I LOVE IT. I have been bringing it to work with me and it has found all the printers our network and it has also let me use the built in remote desktop tool to remote into the servers that I manage. Not to mention that Linux has the most abundant set of security auditing tools around, including apps such as Nmap, Wireshark (R.I.P Ethereal) and ncat. So i'm going to go ahead and list some of my favorite features of Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbons":

1) It's fast! I'm running it on a two year old Dell Inspiron with 512MB of RAM. Only 512!!! And a slow Intel Celeron (not sure of the speed at the moment).

2) It's easy to figure out where everything is. I haven't really had a problem locating any kind of menu, or any feature that I was looking for.

3) Ubuntu always bundles great apps with it's distribution of Linux. Including Open Office, Firefox and the now renamed instant messenger client Pidgin.

4) And last but certainly not least, the 3D desktop interface Compiz-Fusion is amazing. I had Beryl installed on my previous versions of Ubuntu and always liked it, but the little effects and attention to detail are what really sell me on this version of Ubuntu.

I can totally see my self leaving the Windows Operating System behind and using Linux as my full time Operating System of choice. The only time I won't be using it is at work, but thats ok.
From what I hear the next Version of Ubuntu "Hardy Heron" will also be amazing and it's going to be a LTS (Long Term Support) Version.

Until next time. Peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home